Muni Metro Community Working Group Application
Are you a regular Muni Metro rider? Are you involved in your community and live or work along Muni Metro corridors? The SFMTA is seeking people like you to serve as representatives on the Muni Metro Community Working Group to help modernize Muni Metro to meet the future needs of San Francisco. Your participation will help shape the Muni Metro Capacity Study to achieve a faster, more reliable and higher capacity Muni Metro.
What will the Community Working Group do?
The purpose of the Community Working Group is to provide input and community knowledge to SFMTA staff and help staff understand trade-offs and community priorities during the Muni Metro Capacity Study to shape Muni Metro Modernization strategies. Staff will work with Community Working Group members to discuss and consider the strategies and tradeoffs presented in the Study, and how best to balance these to meet the city's future Muni Metro needs.
This Muni Metro Capacity Study - a key planning step in the Muni Metro Modernization program - will help SFMTA staff develop ways to increase the capacity of the Muni Metro system to prepare for San Francisco’s growth in the coming decades.
Who should apply for the Community Working Group and how will members be selected?
The Muni Metro Capacity Study staff team will select Community Working Group members who best meet these criteria:
- Involved in their community and able to speak to broader community priorities in Working Group discussions
- Brings a civic-minded perspective to this long-range effort that will consider strategies that may not make sense to pursue now but may be needed in the future
- Represents the diverse demographics of communities served by Muni Metro
- Interested in engaging in dialogue with a diverse group of people with different perspectives
- Represents one or more of the following perspectives:
- Frequent Muni Metro riders
- People with disabilities
- Residents, institutions, merchants, and students in close proximity to surface rail on the M Ocean View and N Judah where future infrastructure changes are likely needed the most to support growth in ridership
- People who frequently travel in close proximity to surface rail on the M Ocean View and N Judah where future infrastructure changes are likely needed the most to support growth in ridership
Working Group logistics
The Community Working Group will meet approximately five times throughout 2023 and 2024.
An in-person kick-off event will be held on November 2, 2023, at SFMTA offices 1 South Van Ness for Working Group members to get to know each other and the perspectives and experiences they bring to the group. The next meeting, on November 16, will be the first regular meeting of the group.
The format, dates and times of future meetings will be determined by Working Group members, with facilitation by SFMTA staff.
- September 11, 2023 – Start of application period
- October 18, 2023 – End of application period
- October 25, 2023 – Selected participants notified
- November 2, 2023 – First Community Working Group meeting, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (in-person location to be determined)
- November 16, 2023 – Second Community Working Group meeting, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (format to be determined)
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application online no later than 12 a.m. midnight on October 18, 2023. *All applications must be received by the close of the application period.
For additional information email Kansai Uchida, Kansai.Uchida@SFMTA.com.