Muni Subway Closures for New Train Tests
Muni’s new light-rail vehicles (LRVs) will undergo testing inside the Muni Metro Subway in preparation for adding these new state-of-art vehicles in service later this year. For more information about the new trains, visit the New Muni Trains Project page.
During testing, Muni Metro between Montgomery and West Portal stations will be closed to train service at weeknights from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. and will be completely closed on weekends. Bus shuttles will run between Embarcadero Station and Saint Francis Circle. There will be surface train service outside of the Muni Metro Subway. For information on transfering between surface trains and bus shuttles, transfers for people traveling with wheelchairs, scooters, strollers or other wheeled devices/mobility aids, please visit the Bus Bridge Transfers page. Please plan extra travel time when taking Muni during subway closures.
The service map on the right shows the Muni Metro and Shuttle transfer locations during the subway shutdowns. Click or tap on the thumbnail for the full size, or download a PDF version of the Subway Shutdown System Map.
For the full route map including a list of stops, visit the Train Testing Bus Bridge Route page.
Muni Metro Subway Closures
On weeknights, the last trains in the subway will run between 9-9:30 p.m. On weekends there will be no subway service. The subway will reopen to regular service the next weekday morning. During subway closures, surface train service will operate as follows:
- J Church: From Balboa Park Station to Church & Duboce.
Trains will continue as N Judah trains toward Ocean Beach.
- K Ingleside: Between Saint Francis Circle and Balboa Park.
- L Taraval: From SF Zoo to West Portal Ave & Ulloa.
Trains will continue as M Ocean View trains toward San Jose & Geneva.
- M Ocean View: From San Jose & Geneva to West Portal Ave & Lenox.
Trains will continue as L Taraval trains toward SF Zoo.
- N Judah: From Ocean Beach to Church & Duboce.
Trains will continue as J Church trains toward Balboa Park.
- T Third: Between Embarcadero Station and Sunnydale.
Bus Bridge Schedule
During subway closures, a bus bridge will operate shuttles between Embarcadero Station and Saint Francis Circle. On weeknights, the bus bridge will begin service at 9 p.m. On weekends, the bus bridge bridge will operate during regular hours of service. On weekends, an additional bus bridge will operate between Embarcadero Station and Church & Duboce.
For certain events, Muni will temporary pause testing to maintain service levels.
- For weeknight Giants games, Muni will operate outbound trains from the ballpark for approximately 90 minutes after the game. For more information on taking Muni to see the Giants, please visit our AT&T Park Destination page.
- On Saturday, July 22, the March to End All Slaughterhouses may require the bus bridge to reroute on to Mission Street.
- On Sunday, July 23, the San Francisco Marathon may cause delays for the bus bridge as the race crosses Market Street. There will be no subway service for the marathon.
- For the weekend of August 11-13, 2017, Muni will operate on a normal schedule for the Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, the Pistahan Parade and Lady Gaga at AT&T Park.
- July 17: More information about special events.
- July 19: Updated map and more information for people traveling with wheelchairs, scooters, strollers, or other wheeled devices/mobility aids.
- July 20: Updated service map and new information for people traveling with wheelchairs, scooters, strollers, or other wheeled devices/mobility aids.
- July 21: Updated weekend transfer information for the Duboce & Church platform and upcoming special event information.
- July 24: Based on customer feedback, information on transferring between train and shuttle has been moved to a Bus Bridge Transfers page.