Parking, Curb Management & Operations
The Parking and Curb Management Group manages public parking assets to achieve the SFMTA's strategic goals and to raise revenue to support transit and active transportation. The Group includes the Curb Management and Off-Street Parking teams.
The Curb Management team sets policies and regulations for parking and loading at the City's hundreds of miles of curb. These include, among others:
- The demand-responsive parking program, which sets rates at the City's 26,000 paid parking spaces based on demand for those spaces
- The Residential Permit Parking (RPP) Program, which regulates about 75,000 residential parking spaces, including a project to reform RPP to better align it with the needs of 21st Century San Francisco
- Neighborhood parking and curb management plans
- The Vehicle Sharing Program, providing permits to shared cars and mopeds
- The Color Curb Program, which processes requests from businesses and organizations for loading and short-term parking near their locations
- The Shared Spaces Program, which began as a pandemic-response program to allow businesses to use the curb lane for business activity or pickups/dropoffs
The Off-Street Parking team oversees 38 parking garage and lot facilities with more than 15,000 total spaces. Many of the garages offer various services and amenities, including valet, car sharing, electric scooter sharing, special discounted carpool rates, merchant validation, shuttle programs, electric vehicle chargers, secured bicycle parking and more.
- Demand Responsive Pricing
- Residential Permit Parking (RPP)
- Neighborhood Parking Planning (see the recent Hayes Valley Parking and Curb Management Plan as an example)
- Car Share and Shared Electric Moped permit programs
- Color Curb Program
- Shared Spaces Program
- Replacing all parking meters in the City with new, state-of-the-art meter technology
Off-Street Parking Services
- Garages & Lots
- Retail Spaces at Garages
- Bike Lockers
- Car Sharing
- EV Chargers
- Motorcycle Parking
- Map of Garages & Lots
- Parking Meters – Installs, modifies and maintains 26,525 parking meters; evaluates new technologies for meter replacement and enhancement.
- Signs - Installs, modifies, and maintains over 200,000 traffic and parking signs.
- Paint - Installs, modifies, and maintains 700 miles of lane lines, crosswalks, bike lanes, and bus only lanes, as well as all pavement messages and color curb zones.
- Temporary Sign Shop - Installs and removes over 70,000 temporary signs per year for residential moves and special events such as parades, dignitary visits and athletic events.