Ride Muni Free & Auld Lang Syne
“On Tap” usually comes out on Wednesdays with a look ahead to the weekend , but given that there is a small, tiny holiday in the middle of this week, we’re bringing you an early edition to help you arrange your plans in advance.
As the last sands of 2014 trickle through the hourglass, Father Time, accompanied by the baggage of yester-year, stands by the clock ready to punch out and turn things over to Baby New Year, who will usher in 2015 and with it all the hopes of what the coming year can be.
Enjoying this festive transition does not have to be a hassle, whether you are planning on ringing in the New Year watching San Francisco’s free fireworks display along The Embarcadero or at a club or house party. Avoid circling the block looking for parking or idling in traffic by letting the SFMTA shuttle you to and from all the revelry.
Co-sponsored by 76 and Comcast Spotlight, Ride Muni Free New Year’s Eve, now in its 15th year, includes all Muni routes and lines – including cable cars. Faregates will be set for “fare-free” until early Thursday morning, so to enjoy the complimentary service be sure you don’t tag your Clipper Card!
All the schedule information is posted online at www.sfmta.com/nye, so plan your year-end celebrations and leave the car at home.
New Year’s Eve Muni Service at a Glance:
- Complimentary Muni service from 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 31 to 5 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 1.
- Muni Metro service between West Portal and Embarcadero stations is extended to 4 a.m. and until 2:15 a.m. to 4th and King Streets.
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 and 91 Owl and the L and N Owl bus routes.
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 4 p.m.
- Service on cable cars will be provided by buses after approximately 8 p.m.
- Extra 1 California service will operate between Presidio Ave and Drum Street from 7 p.m. until 3 a.m.
- Late night transit services will also be available from our regional transit partners: AC Transit, BART, and SamTrans. For additional regional transportation information visit 511 SF Bay Area.
New Year’s Fireworks Show
Wednesday, 11:59 p.m.
Welcome 2015 in grand style along with a few thousand of your closest friends along The Embarcadero as San Francisco provides a colorful, awe inspiring, and booming backdrop. Enjoy the excitement and thrills, but avoid the chills by remembering to dress warm.
Take advantage of the complimentary Muni service by utilizing Muni Metro to Embarcadero Station, any Market Street bus route or the 14 Mission to Market and Steuart streets.
Muni service note: routes may see heavier ridership during evening and late night service trips.