Geary Boulevard Improvement Project proposals (updated fall 2022)
In 2021 and 2022 we asked neighbors what their priorities are for the Geary Boulevard Improvement Project. Thanks to input from hundreds of community members over two rounds of outreach, we have used this feedback to draft the detailed project design that will go to the SFMTA Board of Directors for approval in early 2023. The final proposal includes:
- Installing transit lanes between 28th and 15th avenues. To make room, angled parking on Geary would be converted to parallel parking.
- Relocating 10 bus stops and removing two closely-spaced stops to improve transit performance.
- Traffic signal upgrades, new bus bulb-outs and lengthening bus zones that are too short to accommodate two buses.
- Safety improvements, including pedestrian bulb-outs, daylighting, expanded median refuges and left-turn restrictions at key intersections.
- Curb space changes to accommodate merchant needs.
To help offset the loss of parking along Geary Boulevard, we are proposing to increase parking spaces on some side streets by converting some parallel parking to angled parking. **Proposed new angled parking on side streets is subject to SF Fire Department review.
See the detailed block-by-block design proposals
- Geary Boulevard: 34th Avenue to 30th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 30th Avenue to 26th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 26th Avenue to 21st Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 21st Avenue to 16th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 16th Avenue to 11th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 11th Avenue to 7th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 7th Avenue to 2nd Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 2nd Avenue to Stanyan
- Complete package of all Geary Boulevard Improvement Project drawings
Overview maps of proposed transit and safety improvements
Map showing proposed new transit lanes. Download a PDF version.
Map showing proposed bus stop changes. Download a PDF version.
Map showing proposed bus and pedestrian bulbs (note that bus bulbs also provide the same benefits as pedestrian bulbs since they are installed at intersections). Download a PDF version.
Map showing proposed vehicle turn restrictions to improve safety. Download a PDF version.