Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: March 21 - April 3, 2020
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines on Geary Boulevard, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, continues. Water main replacement and sidewalk improvements are also being coordinated with Public Works east of Van Ness Avenue.
Construction as part of the Geary Rapid Project is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Webster Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Water main installation is planned for the weeks of March 23 and March 30 on westbound Geary Boulevard from Gough to Franklin streets.
Van Ness Avenue – Mason Street
Mondays through Saturdays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water main installation, connection and testing is planned for the weeks of March 23 and March 30 on Geary Street between Polk and Hyde streets.
- During active water work, the outbound 38/inbound 19 bus stop on Geary at Larkin will be temporarily relocated west towards Polk Street. Look for “Board Here” signs nearby.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Minor sewer work is planned for the week of March 30 on O’Farrell between Jones and Taylor streets.
- Roadway and sidewalk work is planned for the weeks of March 23 and March 30 at the intersections of O'Farrell and Larkin, O’Farrell and Hyde, and O’Farrell and Leavenworth streets.
- Installation of electrical cables for traffic signals and streetlights is planned for the week of March 30 at the intersection of O’Farrell and Leavenworth streets.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays - Sundays, March 16 – May 26, all day:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O'Farrell Street at Van Ness Avenue will be temporarily relocated west towards Franklin Street while work related to the Van Ness Improvement Project is performed.
- Mondays - Fridays, March 2 - April 2, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound 38/38R/38AX Geary "A" Express bus stop at 33rd Avenue will be temporarily relocated west towards 34th Avenue during roadway work.
To view a list of temporary bus stop relocations citywide, please visit: SFMTA.com/TempStopMap