Valencia Pilot Project Approval and Upcoming Construction
Under Mayor London Breed’s leadership and call to expedite safety improvement on Valencia Street, the SFMTA Board of Directors unanimously approved pilot parking-protected bikeways on Valencia Street on December 4, 2018. This pilot will include parking-protected bikeways from Market to 15th streets that will utilize quick and cost-effective measures, such as paint and flex-posts, to improve safety for those who bike, walk and drive on the corridor. In addition to the parking-protected bikeway, the project also includes:
- Increased visibility at intersections with “daylighting” and advance limit lines
- New school loading islands (with protective railing) at San Francisco Friends School and Millennium School. The islands will provide students and parents with safe, designated areas for pick-up and drop-off
- Increased loading zones to support the commercial needs of small businesses on Valencia
As part of the Valencia Bikeway Improvements project, the protected bikeway pilot will test and evaluate if parking-protected bikeways are a suitable long-term option for the Valencia corridor.
Construction is expected to begin next week and completed in early 2019, weather pending. During construction, look out for temporary parking restrictions and temporary signs. Please exercise care when using the street.
When using the new design on Valencia, please keep the following in mind:
- Keep the protected bikeway clear.
- Yield and slow down for children crossing the bikeway.
- Park, pick-up and drop-off away from the sidewalk/curb and within the striped boxes.
- Use crosswalks and curb ramps, where available.
For more about this project or to sign up for email updates, please visit SFMTA.com/valencia.