UCSF Mission Bay - Arena Platform Upgrade
In anticipation of the new Golden State Warriors’ Chase Center and the growth in jobs, housing, healthcare and retail in the Mission Bay, the SFMTA is constructing a new center platform along 3rd Street between South and 16th streets. This new, larger platform will service both the inbound and outbound trains and greatly expand transit capacity in preparation for large crowds. The two existing platforms, which are split as separate inbound and outbound, will be demolished as part of the project. The greater size of the new and improved platform will enable four, two-car trains to load simultaneously during larger events. When needed, the platform will also allow for trains to depart inbound from both sides of the platform to connect customers quickly to BART, CalTrain and eventually the Central Subway.
During parts of summer and fall 2018, work on the platform will require bus substitution on the KT: K Ingleside/T Third line from Embarcadero to the terminal at Bayshore Blvd & Arleta/Blanken. Buses will service all of the stops on the surface and signs will help direct customers to the boarding locations. Those traveling underground on Muni Metro towards Bayshore Blvd & Arleta/Blanken will transfer to a KT bus at Embarcadero.
Bus substitution on the KT: K Ingleside/T Third line is expected in two phases, with exact dates to be finalized soon:
- Summer 2018 - Three separate weekends to be determined, starting on Friday at 8:00 p.m. and ending on Monday by 3:00 a.m.
- Fall 2018 - Up to 8 consecutive weeks, 24 hours a day
Construction elements included in the project:
- Remove the two existing platforms at 3rd and South streets
- Build a new center island platform
- Widen the track to accommodate the new island platform
- Install new overhead wires that power trains
- Update utility lines and street lights to support the new center island platform
- Upgrade the traffic signals at 3rd and South streets as well as 3rd Street and Campus lane