Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project is a series of capital projects, guided by the Market-Octavia Area Plan, to make the boulevard and surrounding streets safer, more pedestrian-friendly, and better at serving multiple users. After years of engaging the community to confirm priorities, there are a handful of streetscape upgrades in various stages of design and implementation, with some near-term improvements completed in 2015/2016.
Browse the project webpage to learn more about the status and details of these efforts, as well as upcoming meetings.
No upcoming meetings have been posted
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project is a series of capital projects, guided by the Market-Octavia Area Plan, to make the boulevard and surrounding streets safer, more pedestrian-friendly, and better at balancing competing demands. After years of community engagement to update and confirm priorities, the following are active efforts in and around the Hayes Valley neighborhood:
- Hayes Street "Follow the Paving": sidewalk bulbouts on Hayes at the Laguna and Buchanan intersections (construction phase, to be completed by spring 2018)
- Oak/Octavia Safety Improvements: sidewalk bulbout, extended center medians and landscaping (construction phase, to be completed by spring 2018)
- Page Street Neighborway and Green Connection (Webster to Market): traffic safety and streetscape upgrades within the Market-Octavia Plan area (concept design phase, estimated construction start in 2019)
- Market Street/Octavia Boulevard: intersection improvements and potential circulation changes coordinated with the Upper Market Safety Project (concept design phase, estimated construction start in 2019)
- Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project: sustainable streetscape upgrades along the northbound local lane of Octavia Boulevard, from Page Street to Patricia's Green (concept design phase, estimated construction start in 2019)
Areawide crosswalk upgrades and other spot improvements were completed in 2015 and 2016.
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project will evaluate travel conditions between Market Street and Hayes Street, as well as from intersecting corridors such as the Oak and Fell street couplet and Page Street bikeway.
The project will implement engineering improvements that enhance safety, comfort and livability for people who travel through, work and live in the area.
To support transparency and community involvement, this project will also serve as a larger engagement process under which multiple projects on or near Octavia Boulevard may advance, including coordinated review of proposed private development.
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project will evaluate travel conditions between Market Street and Hayes Street, as well as from intersecting corridors such as Oak and Fell streets, specifically:
- Octavia Boulevard, Market Street to Grove Street
- Oak/Fell Streets: Buchanan Street to Gough Street
- Page Street: Webster Street to Gough Street
- Market Street: Guerrero/Laguna streets to Valencia Street
Please note that the schedule below is a general timeline that is subject to variation among projects. Please sign up to receive project updates to get the latest information on this project.
- Winter 2015: Data collection and project initiation
- Spring 2015: Initial public outreach and concept designs
- Summer 2015 -Winter 2016: First wave of projects approved and/or implemented
- Spring/Summer 2016: Public outreach and concept designs
- Fall 2016/Winter 2017: Technical review and project concepts refinement
- Spring/Summer 2017: Public outreach and approval of remaining project concepts
Funded by the sale of land parcels along the former Central Freeway, as well as developer impact fees, this project is an outgrowth of the 2008 Market/Octavia Area Plan and related ongoing planning by the Market/Octavia Community Advisory Committee and San Francisco Planning Department.
The current estimated value of improvements identified in this project ranges from $5 to $7 million.
PARTICIPATING CITY AGENCIES
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA)
- Develop and review design options
- San Francisco Planning
- San Francisco Public Works Department
- Streetscape Design / Maintenance
- San Francisco Fire Department, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, Mayor's Office of Economic and Workforce Development, and San Francisco Recreation and Park Department:
- Review plans, coordination TBD
We will send you e-mail or SMS updates whenever the following are posted for the Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project:
- Upcoming meetings
- Project updates