Division/13th Street Safety Project
Division/13th Street is a key east-west corridor for people biking to destinations like the Caltrain Station, the Mission District, Oracle Park, and the South Beach area in general. Many well-used bike routes also cross Division Street at multiple locations.
However, there are pressing needs to increase safety in the area. In a five year period alone, there were 106 collisions along the Division/13th Street corridor, including two traffic deaths.
To increase safety and comfort in the area, the SFMTA is proposing a range of bicycle and pedestrian safety improvements along the corridor and some side streets.
Key safety improvements proposed by the SFMTA include:
- New protected intersection design, sidewalk, painted bulb-outs, and traffic operation improvements at 9th/Division
- Improved channelization and sharrows at the traffic circle at 8th/Townsend/Division
- Enhancing the Division Street bike lane with more separation, including a parking-protected design from the Townsend traffic circle to 9th Street and upgraded protection from 10th Street to 11th Street
- New protected bikeways on westbound and eastbound 13th Street from Bryant Street to Folsom Street
Every year, 30 people are killed and 200 more are seriously injured while traveling on city streets. These deaths and injuries are unacceptable and preventable, and San Francisco is committed to eliminating them.
By adopting a policy called Vision Zero 2014, the City and County of San Francisco is committed to building better and safer streets, educating the public on traffic safety, enforcing traffic laws, and prioritizing resources to implement effective initiatives that save lives. Vision Zero aims to eliminate all traffic deaths in San Francisco by 2024 and the SFMTA is prioritizing efforts on the corridors that have the highest number of serious and fatal collision, including Division/13th Street.
The Division/13th Street Safety Project is in support of Vision Zero and will implement targeted safety improvements on the corridor, one of the city’s streets that account for a disproportionate amount of traffic collisions (106 collisions and two traffic deaths in 2007 – 2012 alone).
Improvements at 9th/Division and westbound 13th Street from Bryant to Folsom were funded by the Office of Mayor Edwin M. Lee, addback dollars from the office of District 6 Supervisor, Jane Kim, and the sale of SFMTA revenue bonds.
Improvements on eastbound 13th Street from Bryant to Folsom and Division Street from 10th to 11th may be funded by Prop B.
- Parking-protected bikeways on westbound 13th Street from Bryant to Folsom were installed in December 2015.
- The protected intersection at 9th/Division and parking-protected bikeways on Division between 10th and 9th streets were installed in December 2016.
- Parking-protected bikeways on eastbound 13th Street from Bryant to Folsom were installed in May 2017.
- Protected bikeways on Division Street between Bryant and Potrero streets were upgraded in May 2017.