Geary Boulevard Improvement Project Proposals (Spring 2022)
In fall 2021 we asked neighbors what their priorities are for the Geary Boulevard Improvement Project. Thanks to input from over 600 community members, the SFMTA has used this feedback to draft the detailed project design. The proposed design includes:
- Installing transit lanes between 28th and 15th avenues. To make room, angled parking on Geary would be converted to parallel parking.
- Relocating 11 bus stops and removing two closely-spaced stops to improve transit performance.
- Traffic signal upgrades, new bus bulb-outs and lengthening bus zones that are too short to accommodate two buses.
- Safety improvements, including pedestrian bulb-outs, daylighting, expanded median refuges and left-turn restrictions at key intersections.
To help offset the loss of about two parking spaces per block face on average, we are proposing to increase parking spaces on side streets and make curb space changes to accommodate merchant needs, including evening and Sunday metering in Central Richmond.
See the detailed block-by-block design proposals
- Geary Boulevard: 34th Avenue to 30th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 30th Avenue to 26th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 26th Avenue to 21st Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 21st Avenue to 16th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 16th Avenue to 11th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 11th Avenue to 7th Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 7th Avenue to 2nd Avenue
- Geary Boulevard: 2nd Avenue to Stanyan