Ride Muni Free, extra service on New Year's Eve
Saturday, December 31, 2016, 8:00 pm — Sunday, January 1, 2017, 5:00 am
Updated Dec. 22.
For the 17th consecutive year, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) will offer free rides on New Year’s Eve from 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 31, through 5 a.m. on Sunday, January 1.
Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the free service period. If you tag it, your card will be charged.
Do not activate a MuniMobile ticket during the free service period; you have no need to do so.
At midnight, there will be a city-sponsored fireworks show from a barge off of The Embarcadero, south of the Ferry Building. Motorists should anticipate delays in the area from approximately 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. No closures or reroutes are planned. The SFPD and SFMTA will monitor for any necessary reroutes.
New Year’s Eve Muni Service
- Complimentary Muni service 8 pm, Dec. 31, to 5 am, Jan. 1
- Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the complimentary service
- Please do not activate a MuniMobile ticket
- Muni Metro service all night
- between West Portal and Embarcadero stations until 5 am
- between West Portal and 4th and King streets until 2:15 am
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 9 pm
- Service on the Cable Cars is provided by buses after approximately 6 pm
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.):
- 5 Fulton
- 14 Mission
- 22 Fillmore
- 24 Divisadero
- 25 Treasure Island
- 38 Geary
- 44 O’Shaughnessy
- 48 Quintara-24th
- 90 and 91 Owl
- L Owl and N Owl
- Reroutes are not scheduled. The following routes will reroute only if needed:
- Downtown: 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 14-Owl, 21, 31, 38, L-Owl, N-Owl, F, all cable cars
- North Beach: 8, 10, 12
- Cow Hollow: 45
- Castro: 24, 35
- Late night transit services will also be available from our regional transit partners: AC Transit, BART and SamTrans
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the BART website for current information.
BART will run a normal weekday evening service schedule which will extend until 3 am. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains standing by in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show.
Station “Skip-Stop” Plan beginning at 8 pm:
- Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines will stop at Montgomery Station both arriving and departing SF; trains skip Embarcadero Station
- Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will stop at Embarcadero Station both arriving and departing SF; trains skip Montgomery Station
- Post event, the first East Bay stop for Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will be at Lake Merritt Station; trains skip West Oakland
- Millbrae and Daly City trains will make all stops in SF, but customers will board/alight at Montgomery Station after the fireworks
Last trains from Embarcadero: To Dublin/Pleasanton at 3:16 am.
Last trains from Montgomery: To Pittsburg/Baypoint at 3:24 am.; To Millbrae at 3:32 am.; To SF Airport at 4:04 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the Caltrain website for current information.
Caltrain will operate on a weekday schedule and add four extra trains. Southbound trains leave at 12:45 am, 1:15 am, 1:45 am and 2:15 am or when full. Caltrain service will be free after 8 pm. on New Year’s Eve and continue until 5 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the AC Transit website for current information.
Bus line 800 will begin service at 24th/Mission, and proceed to the East Bay as follows:
- The 800 line to Richmond will leave 24th St/Mission every 20 minutes from 12:31 am until 2:51 am, and then every 30 minutes until 6:51 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the SamTrans website for current information.
The 397 will leave Transbay Terminal every hour from 1:06 am until 4:06 am.