Become a Taxi Driver
Thank you for your interest in becoming a taxi driver with the SFMTA. It is easy to become a new taxi driver and the SFMTA does not charge a fee. Below are instructions on how to apply.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 415.646.4621 or email us at SFTaxi@sfmta.com.
We look forward to working with you.
Taxi Services Team
New Taxi Driver Application Process
To be eligible, you must:
- Have a valid California driver’s license
- Have held a valid driver’s license in the United States for one year before you apply
- Have attained the age of 21
- Submit a Live Scan fingerprint background check*
- Submit a drug test and receive negative results
- Pass a written exam
What you need to do:
- Complete the Becoming a Taxi Driver online form below.
- Watch the New Taxi Driver Online Training class.
- Print and complete the Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Permit Application Form.
- Print the Live Scan Form and go to one of the listed authorized facilities for fingerprinting.
- Print the Drug Test Form and go to one of the authorized facilities for the drug test.
Following your submission of the Drug Test and Live Scan:
- Once SFMTA receives notification of your results, the Taxi Services Team will contact you tomake an appointment.
- At your appointment, which will be held at the Taxi Window at 1 South Van Ness, 7th floor,you will need to pass a short-written exam in order to receive your Taxi Driver Permit (A-Card).
- The Taxi Driver Permit is free.
- Be sure to bring in your completed Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Permit Application Form.
- Be sure to bring in your valid California Driver’s License (CDL).
- Taxi Services Team will need to verify that you have held a United States Driver’s License for at least one year.
- You need to pass a short written exam to test your knowledge of the New Taxi Driver Online Training class.
- Your picture will be taken for your Taxi Driver Permit.
- Once you receive your Taxi Driver Permit, you will need to contact a Color Scheme (Taxi Company) to begin driving a San Francisco Taxi!
*To be a qualified driver, you must have no prior convictions of a crime that would, in the judgment of the SFMTA, present a risk to public safety if the permit is granted, including but not limited to convictions involving sexual assault, the use of a vehicle in the commission of a felony, fraud, violence against a person, reckless disregard for public safety, two or more recent convictions of drug-related offenses, or two or more recent convictions of driving under the influence, whether or not such convictions occurred while driving a Motor Vehicle for Hire. The SFMTA may, in its discretion, issue a permit notwithstanding prior convictions if, following review of an individual case, it determines that the applicant or Permit Holder does not pose a current risk to public safety.
Become a Taxi Driver