Ride Muni Free, extra service on New Year's Eve
Updated Dec. 22.
For the 17th consecutive year, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) will offer free rides on New Year’s Eve from 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 31, through 5 a.m. on Sunday, January 1.
Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the free service period. If you tag it, your card will be charged.
Do not activate a MuniMobile ticket during the free service period; you have no need to do so.
At midnight, there will be a city-sponsored fireworks show from a barge off of The Embarcadero, south of the Ferry Building. Motorists should anticipate delays in the area from approximately 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. No closures or reroutes are planned. The SFPD and SFMTA will monitor for any necessary reroutes.
New Year’s Eve Muni Service
- Complimentary Muni service 8 pm, Dec. 31, to 5 am, Jan. 1
- Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the complimentary service
- Please do not activate a MuniMobile ticket
- Muni Metro service all night
- between West Portal and Embarcadero stations until 5 am
- between West Portal and 4th and King streets until 2:15 am
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 9 pm
- Service on the Cable Cars is provided by buses after approximately 6 pm
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.):
- 5 Fulton
- 14 Mission
- 22 Fillmore
- 24 Divisadero
- 25 Treasure Island
- 38 Geary
- 44 O’Shaughnessy
- 48 Quintara-24th
- 90 and 91 Owl
- L Owl and N Owl
- Reroutes are not scheduled. The following routes will reroute only if needed:
- Downtown: 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 14-Owl, 21, 31, 38, L-Owl, N-Owl, F, all cable cars
- North Beach: 8, 10, 12
- Cow Hollow: 45
- Castro: 24, 35
- Late night transit services will also be available from our regional transit partners: AC Transit, BART and SamTrans
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the BART website for current information.
BART will run a normal weekday evening service schedule which will extend until 3 am. Trains will run every 20 minutes after midnight with extra trains standing by in downtown San Francisco after the fireworks show.
Station “Skip-Stop” Plan beginning at 8 pm:
- Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines will stop at Montgomery Station both arriving and departing SF; trains skip Embarcadero Station
- Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will stop at Embarcadero Station both arriving and departing SF; trains skip Montgomery Station
- Post event, the first East Bay stop for Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will be at Lake Merritt Station; trains skip West Oakland
- Millbrae and Daly City trains will make all stops in SF, but customers will board/alight at Montgomery Station after the fireworks
Last trains from Embarcadero: To Dublin/Pleasanton at 3:16 am.
Last trains from Montgomery: To Pittsburg/Baypoint at 3:24 am.; To Millbrae at 3:32 am.; To SF Airport at 4:04 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the Caltrain website for current information.
Caltrain will operate on a weekday schedule and add four extra trains. Southbound trains leave at 12:45 am, 1:15 am, 1:45 am and 2:15 am or when full. Caltrain service will be free after 8 pm. on New Year’s Eve and continue until 5 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the AC Transit website for current information.
Bus line 800 will begin service at 24th/Mission, and proceed to the East Bay as follows:
- The 800 line to Richmond will leave 24th St/Mission every 20 minutes from 12:31 am until 2:51 am, and then every 30 minutes until 6:51 am.
The following information is being provided as a courtesy and is subject to change. Please check the SamTrans website for current information.
The 397 will leave Transbay Terminal every hour from 1:06 am until 4:06 am.