2017 Transportation Sector Climate Action Strategy
The 2017 Transportation Sector Climate Action Strategy contains near term and long term strategies in two program areas (Climate Mitigation and Climate Adaptation) to be implemented in the years ahead. These actions are not only critical to climate action but can also help to build a healthy, resilient and equitable city by:
- Improving public health through the reduction of harmful air pollutants by prioritizing transit and active transportation modes;
- Reducing economic costs associated with congestion,
- Improving safety for all consistent with the city’s Vision Zero policy;
- Promoting dense, affordable and environmentally sustainable development;
- Providing safe, reliable, efficient and affordable transit for all
- Building a more resilient transportation system in the face of a changing climate system.
Climate Mitigation Program Areas
Seven cross-cutting program areas have been identified where investments must be made to help alleviate the transportation sectors impact on climate change. Building dense affordable housing, ensuring emerging mobility services support climate goals, designing streets to encourage biking, walking and transit, investing in making transit more effective, programing to shift trips to sustainable modes, implement pricing and congestion management plans, and building infrastructure for zero emissions vehicles will benefit San Francisco and help reduce our emissions.
- Land Use & Transportation
- Pricing & Congestion Management
- Transportation Demand Management
- Complete Streets
- Zero Emission Vehicles & Infrastructure
- Emerging Mobility Services & Tech
Climate Adaptation Program Areas
The Climate Action Strategy lays out five areas the SFMTA can use to increase the resiliency of San Francisco’s transportation system by managing the risks posed by the impacts of climate change. These efforts include assessing the vulnerability of the transportation system to sea level rise, integrating climate risk and resiliency in capital planning, and developing and integrating adaptation into transportation plans, projects and operations.
- Education Capacity & Communication
- Capital Planning
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Adaptation Strategies, Plans & Policies
- Partnership & Collaboration