Animals on Muni
- Pets may not ride Muni during peak hours:
Monday through Friday
5:00 am – 9:00 am
3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- During off-peak hours, only one pet per Muni vehicle is allowed to ride.
- Dogs must be leashed and muzzled and can only ride on the lap of the rider or under their seat; all other pets must be carried in a small closed container on the lap of the rider or under their seat.
- Pet owners or guardians must pay a fare equal to their own for their pet to ride.
SERVICE ANIMAL POLICY
Service animals are defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as “any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability.”
Animals that meet this definition are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.
- Trained service animals are allowed to ride free of charge on all Muni vehicles.
- Customers traveling with a service animal should notify the Operator immediately upon boarding.
- Service dogs may travel without a muzzle but must be under the control of their owners.
- Service animals must ride on their owner’s lap, under their owner's seat, or as far out of the aisle as possible. Animals may not occupy a seat.
- Customers with disruptive or destructive service animals may be asked to remove them from the vehicle
Service Animals on Cable Cars:
- Service animals are encouraged to ride in the interior section of the cable car, either on their owner's lap or as far out of the aisle as possible.
- If riding on the exterior sections of the cable car, service animals must be on their owner's lap.