Here’s how it works:
1. Register for the program
Registered riders must meet at least one of these qualifications:
If you meet one of these three criteria, fill out a registration form. You will need to provide proof that you are eligible for the program when submitting your registration form.
Tip: this registration form is fillable, which means that you can type directly onto the document using your computer. Remember to save your changes before you print it or attach it in an email to us.
To submit your completed registration form, you may:
- Deliver the form by mail or in-person to the SF Paratransit Office.
- Fax the form to us at 415.351.3135.
- E-mail the form to the SF Paratransit Shopping Shuttle Coordinator at MobilityOptions@SFMTA.com.
Don't forget to attach the supporting documents along with your registration form, if required.
Once registration is complete, information about scheduling Shop-a-Round trips will be mailed to you.
2. Schedule a Shop-a-Round Shuttle trip
To start using the program, call the phone number provided in the registration information materials and let the reservation agent know where you want to go grocery shopping. Because Shop-a-Round shuttles operate on a schedule (specific days of the week at specific times), the agent will take your request and let you know when your trip will be scheduled. For example, if you want to go to Safeway, the agent will tell you the day and time service is available to the store. For Monday service, please schedule your trip by the Friday before your trip.
- You’ll spend about one hour at the supermarket.
- Registered users may take unlimited rides on Shop-a-Round.
The Shop-a-Round schedule is updated regularly and mailed to registered riders.
Shop-a-Round Shuttle trips cost $2.50 per one-way trip (subject to change). Fares must be presented upon boarding the vehicle, and may be paid in any of the following ways:
- Cash: In exact change only, given to the driver.
- Single Ride Ticket: Given to the driver. Single Ride Tickets must be purchased in advance by visiting the SF Paratransit Office or calling 415.351.7000.
- MuniMobile Ticket: Single ride tickets must be purchased on the MuniMobile app in advance, then activated on your smartphone and presented to the driver upon boarding. Learn more about MuniMobile tickets.
If you are a Paratransit user or RTC card holder and designated as having an attendant, your attendant may board with you at no additional cost.
When you ride the Shop-a-Round Shuttle, you’ll be on a van with other riders going to the same grocery store. You may travel with one companion if there is space on the vehicle.
On the way to the grocery store, the van will stop to pick up other riders at their homes.
Although Shop-a-Round drivers may not enter your home, upon request they will offer assistance onto the vehicle from the entrance of your home or building where you live.
Some applicants may be eligible for Shop-a-Round Taxi service, due to limited availability of shuttle service in their area. With Shop-a-Round Taxi, you will be issued an ID card. On a monthly basis, you may pre-load the card with funds. For every $6 of funds you load, you will receive $30 in card value (up to a maximum allotment) which can then be used to pay the cost of taxi trips to and from select grocery shopping locations. You can ride at any time by hailing a taxi. Each one-way trip will cost the meter rate of a San Francisco taxicab.
- Trips are provided by the taxi company of your choice.
- Your companions or attendant may ride with you at no additional charge.
- Taxi drivers may, but are not required to, assist you to/from the entrance of your home or building where you live upon request.
On the way home, the van will stop to drop off other riders at their homes along the way.
When you arrive at your destination, gather all your belongings and prepare to exit the vehicle. You may request that the driver deploy the lift or ramp, or request help exiting the vehicle and getting to your door. If you ride with a mobility device, the driver will remove any securements before assisting you out of the vehicle.
The driver will carry up to three (3) bags of groceries per registered rider between the vehicle and your front door.
Be sure to thank your driver if you were pleased with your ride.
If you had a positive or negative experience on Shop-a-Round, we’d love to hear about it! Contact the Mobility Management Center or call 415.351.7000 to share your questions or feedback.
Left something on the vehicle? Contact lost & found at the Shop-a-Round service provider (415.285.6945)