Quick Start for Residents with Disabilities
Our agency believes in a transportation system that serves everyone. Navigate the accessible transportation options offered by SFMTA for residents with disabilities. There are many ways to get around town, whether individually, with a companion or attendant, or even as a group. Learn more about the services we provide and browse resources to make planning and taking a trip easier than ever.
Muni: San Francisco’s network of Muni buses, Metro lines, and streetcars cover all corners of the city. Learn more about how Muni is an accessible and affordable way to travel independently for people of all ages and abilities.
Travel Training: Could you benefit from improving your transit knowledge or gaining more experience using the Muni system? Free Travel Training & Tips are available to all older adults and persons with disabilities.
Taxi: Taxis can be hailed on the street, by phone, or even with a smartphone app, and they are a great option for same-day needs, especially after a medical appointment. Learn more about San Francisco’s network of taxi services, including accessible vehicles for wheelchair users.
Shop-a-Round: Could you use help going grocery shopping? Shop-a-Round is a convenient, low-cost shuttle provided by SF Paratransit to eligible residents. The program serves local grocery stores and farmers markets and provides personalized assistance not available on Muni, including carrying up to three shopping bags on and off the shuttle.
Van Gogh: Want to take a group of friends or loved ones out on the town? Van Gogh is a shuttle service provided by SF Paratransit for a coordinator and seven or more participants to travel to and from social events anywhere in the city.
Paratransit: Are you unable to independently use or access public transit because of a disability or disabling health condition? SF Paratransit provides van and taxi services as an alternative for eligible riders.
SF Paratransit Group Van: SF Paratransit operates group transportation services for groups of ADA-eligible individuals to attend Adult Day Health Centers (ADHCs), Senior Centers, and meal programs through contracts with certain community-based agencies. If you attend a group program, consult with your center coordinator for more information.
Walking and Biking: Looking for ways to feel and be safer while walking or biking? Learn here about projects the SFMTA has completed to make streets safer and how to request other safety improvements like audible pedestrian crosswalk signals, curb ramps, or new crosswalks.
Other Mobility Options: Looking for private transportation services? Here are some things to consider when deciding which options will serve you best.
- Accessibility on Muni: Step-by-step guides for riding Muni buses, our Metro light rail, and historic streetcars.
- Muni Fares: Find out how easy it is to purchase single ride and monthly passes. You can even use MuniMobile to purchase fares for yourself and those who you ride with!
- Muni Discounts: Learn more about the discounts Muni offers when you use Clipper card or cash.
- Free Muni for low-income SF residents: Learn more about free access to transit for low and moderate income seniors and people with disabilities.
- Trip Planner/Muni Schedules: Plan your next trip
- Instructional Videos: Here are some quick how-to’s about getting around the city. (video content not created yet. Likely will include how to video to schedule Paratransit trips and view paratransit vehicle ETAs, how to register and use the Flywheel taxi e-hailing app).
- How to Hail a Taxi: Find out how to hail a taxi. Will include list of e-Hail options and Taxi company Dispatch contacts)
- Paratransit Application: Download an application for ADA paratransit services
- Shop-a-Round Registration Brochure: Download a brochure on the Shop-a-Round program.
- Van Gogh Registration and Trip Request Forms: Download the forms you need to register for Van Gogh and request a trip.