Towed Vehicles

The SFMTA is responsible for removing illegally parked and abandoned vehicles from city streets. The SFMTA conducts tows authorized by Enforcement and the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD). A vehicle which is parked in a tow away zone will be towed to one of the City and County of San Francisco Impound facilities.  The SFMTA tows vehicles in San Francisco only.

Towing helps maximize on-street parking, manage traffic congestion, and maintain clean, safe and functional streets for the public’s use. Most requests received from the public to tow vehicles are for blocked driveways. Request Enforcement or call 311 to report an illegally parked vehicle.

If you think your car is towed, immediately call City and County of San Francisco Impound at 415.865.8200.  The City’s contractor, TEGSCO, LLC, will help you search for your vehicle.  Be ready to provide your license plate number, vehicle description, suspected tow date, and location.

If we cannot confirm your vehicle is towed, your vehicle may be stolen or towed from a different jurisdiction.  To report a vehicle stolen, go to SFPD or call 415.553.0123.

Where to Recover Your Vehicle and Pay Your Fees

You must appear in person and pay all fees before your vehicle can be released. Go to the City and County of San Francisco Impound (operated by TEGSCO, LLC), open 24 hours a day, including holidays.  Some oversized vehicles are transported directly to a secondary facility in Daly City, so you are encouraged to call 415.865.8200 or go to to help locate your vehicle.

City and County of San Francisco Impound
450 7th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

To Retrieve a Vehicle Towed by Order of SFPD

Contact the SFPD's STOP unit at: 415.678.3625 or visit SFPD.

Read this brochure.

Payment Options

SFMTA accepts cash, ATM cards, and most major credit cards.  Cardholder must be present at the time of payment with valid identification matching the name on the card.  Phone or online payments are not allowed.  Checks are not accepted.

Low Income?  Experiencing Homelessness?  First Time Tow?

Vehicle owners who participate in eligible low-income programs may receive a waiver of the administrative fee, a reduction of the tow fee, and certain other fee waivers by providing acceptable proof of eligibility.  Visit low-income tow for more information.
If you are experiencing homelessness and have visited a Coordinated Entry Point in the past 6 months then you may receive a waiver of the administrative fee, tow fee, and certain other waivers. More information available on how to visit a Coordinated Entry Point.  Visit low-income tow for more information.
Individuals may receive a reduction of the administrative fee if their vehicle has never been previously towed by the SFPD or SFMTA.  Visit first time tow for more information.

Summary of Fees

You must pay all fees for your vehicle to be released.  

  • Administrative Fee (this charge is in addition to the tow fee below)
    • All repeat tows $360
    • First-time tow $304
    • Low-income $0
  • Tow Fee (this charge is in addition to the administrative fee above)
    • One-time waiver for people experiencing homelessness $0
    • Low-income $104
    • All others $297
  • Storage (if applicable)
    • First four hours free
    • First day after first 4 hours $64
    • Subsequent days $77
  • Dolly (if applicable) $53

Towing and storage fees may vary depending on the weight of your vehicle.  Please search for your vehicle or call 415.865.8200 to receive an estimate of fees.

Full list of Tow Fees available at  拖車費的完整清單  -  Lista completa de tarifas de remolque  -  Buong listahan ng mga Tow Fees

To Contest a Tow 

You may contest the validity of the tow.  If you believe your vehicle was towed in error, submit a hearing request, and all supporting evidence, within the time allowed to contest. Visit Contest Tow for more information.

Text Before Tow Program

Sign-up to get a text message when your vehicle is at risk of being towed.


  • You must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are claiming.
  • You may be required to submit a Hold Harmless form if you authorize your representative to retrieve the vehicle on your behalf.