Central Subway Service Changes
San Francisco’s historic new Central Subway opens Saturday, November 19, connecting communities by rail. Read more about the project history, archeology, art and architecture.
Special Weekend Service from Chinatown to 4th & Brannan starts Saturday, November 19, 8 a.m.-12 a.m.
Special weekend service runs every 12 minutes. During Special Weekend Service, customers can begin to familiarize themselves with the four new stops: Chinatown-Rose Pak Station, Union Square/Market Street Station, Yerba Buena/Moscone Station and 4th & Brannan.
Special weekend service is Saturdays and Sundays only, from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. every 12 minutes. Central Subway Special weekend service is free from November 19 to January 1, 2023. Fares are required for all other Muni service.
(Map Note: Be advised that BART does not serve Van Ness Station.)
New T Third Service from Chinatown-Rose Pak to Sunnydale is planned to start January 7 via Central Subway
Service on the new T Third line from Chinatown Rose-Pak to Sunnydale starts January 7, 2023, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m., and Saturdays and Sundays, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. The new T Third line will continue to provide service along 3rd and 4th streets, but it will continue service north to four new stations: 4th & Brannan, Yerba Buena/Moscone Station, Union Square/Market Street Station and Chinatown-Rose Pak Station. The T Third will no longer run along King Street, the Embarcadero or Market Street.
- Customers should transfer from the T Third to the N Judah at Powell Station (heading south) or 4th & King (heading north) for service on Embarcadero to Folsom, Brannan, Oracle Park (2nd and King streets).
- J Church, K Ingleside, M Ocean View and N Judah customers will get off at Powell Station and transfer to the T Third at the new Union Square/Market Street Station. The two stations are connected underground. New signage will help direct customers.
- K Ingleside customers will transfer to the N Judah to continue south on Embarcadero to Folsom, Brannan, AT&T Park (2nd and King streets), Mission Bay, Chase Center and Caltrain (4th and King streets).
- T Third customers will transfer from Union Square/Market Street Station to Powell Station for all other Muni Metro routes eastbound and westbound.
See the new Muni Metro service map below for details. Use our website (SFMTA.com/TripPlanner) to plan your new trip.
Map showing T Third Central Subway route.
New Muni Metro subway map with the new T Third alignment.
SFMTA Ambassadors will be at each of the new stations during service to help guide Muni riders. Look for the orange SFMTA Ambassador outfits.
For those who want a little extra preparation, ambassadors will provide wayfinding guidance online and in-person to help customers learn to navigate the new Central Subway stations and connections.
- Watch the video. COMING SOON! Connecting Communities: How to Navigate the Central Subway.
- Watch the map animations. COMING SOON!
- Join a virtual wayfinding orientation with staff. This is recommended if you have limited time but want to ask questions.
- Sign up for an in-person wayfinding orientation between Powell Station and Union Square/Market Street Station. This is recommended if you have more time and want to experience the new connection with a guide. Limit 10 people per group.
In addition to Ambassadors on site and wayfinding guidance, SFMTA provides free Travel Training for individuals or groups of older adults and people with disabilities who would like to improve their transit skills or gain more experience using the Muni system. Visit the Travel Training webpage (SFMTA.com/TravelTraining) for more information.