January 7, 2023 Service Changes
- New T Third service from Chinatown-Rose Pak to Sunnydale via Central Subway
- New event service to Chase Center
- Bus service changes
- 4th Street Improvement Project final stop consolidation
January 7 Service Changes Presentation (Recording)
Visit T Third route page for real-time arrival predictions
Visit the Central Subway project webpage to learn more
New T Third Service from Chinatown-Rose Pak to Sunnydale starts January 7 via Central Subway
Service on the new T Third line from Chinatown Rose-Pak to Sunnydale starts January 7, 2023, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m., and Saturdays and Sundays, 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. The new T Third line will continue to provide service along 3rd and 4th streets, but it will continue service north to four new stations: 4th & Brannan, Yerba Buena/Moscone Station, Union Square/Market Street Station and Chinatown-Rose Pak Station. The T Third will no longer run along King Street, the Embarcadero or Market Street.
The K Ingleside will continue to operate between Balboa Park and Embarcadero Station. The KT Ingleside-Third will no longer be combined.
Muni and BART customers will be able to connect between Central Subway and the Market Street subway underground between Union Square/Market Street Station and Powell Station.
Early morning/late night T Third Bus service will travel via 3rd Street to Chinatown and via 4th Street from Chinatown. It will no longer serve The Embarcadero or Market Street.
- For service to Embarcadero & Folsom, Embarcadero & Brannan and 2nd & King (Oracle Park) use the N Judah. Northbound T Third customers can transfer to the N Judah at 4th & King. Southbound T Third customers can take the N Judah by transferring from Union Square/Market Street Station to Powell Station.
- J Church, K Ingleside, M Ocean View, N Judah and BART customers transferring to the T Third will get off at Powell Station and go to the new Union Square/Market Street Station. The two stations are connected underground. New signage will help direct customers.
- T Third customers will transfer at Union Square/Market Street Station to Powell Station for all other Muni Metro routes and BART.
See the new Muni Metro service map below for details. Use our website (SFMTA.com/TripPlanner) to plan your new trip.
Map showing T Third Central Subway route.
New Muni Metro subway map with the new T Third alignment.
Chase Center Event Service
During events at Chase Center, the SFMTA will run event service about every 10 minutes in addition to normal T Third service. The additional event trains – with “S Shuttle Mission Bay” head signs – will serve all stops between Chinatown-Rose Pak Station and UCSF/Chase Center. From end to end the ride takes only 20 minutes. Best of all, your event ticket is your Muni fare. No additional Muni fare needed!
Customers traveling past Chase Center during this special event service should check train head signs and only board “T Third” trains for a one-seat ride to their destination.
SFMTA Ambassadors will be at each of the new stations during service to help guide Muni riders. Look for the orange SFMTA Ambassador outfits.
For those who want a little extra preparation:
- Watch the video: Connecting Communities: How to Navigate the Central Subway
- Watch the map animations
In addition, the SFMTA provides free Travel Training for individuals or groups of older adults and people with disabilities who would like to improve their transit skills or gain more experience using the Muni system. Visit the Travel Training webpage (SFMTA.com/TravelTraining) for more information.
Bus Service Changes
Overview of bus service changes also starting January 7, 2023:
- The 6 Haight/Parnassus will now run until 12 a.m. daily instead of 10 p.m. to cover the service gap on Haight Street.
- The 21 Hayes will now run to Fulton Street and 8th Avenue on weekdays after 7 p.m. and weekends all day to provide access to Golden Gate Park. There will be no additional stops between Stanyan Street and 8th Avenue.
- We are changing the terminals on the 12 Folsom/Pacific and 36 Teresita to provide better operator relief points, with minor reroutes near Cesar Chavez and Valencia Streets.
- We are adding service on 28 19th Avenue and 38R Geary Rapid to help reduce crowding.
- The bus stops at 4th and Folsom streets and 4th and Howard streets will be consolidated into one stop in front of the new Yerba Buena/Moscone Station to provide better connections for customers as part of the 4th Street Improvement Project.
4th Street Improvement Project Stop Consolidation
With the completion of Central Subway and the start new T Third service, the SFMTA will implement the final phase of the 4th Street Improvement Project.
The bus stops on 4th and Howard streets and on 4th and Folsom streets will be combined and relocated to the northeast corner of 4th and Folsom by new Central Subway Yerba Buena/Moscone subway station entrance. This will make connections easier for customers transferring between rail and bus routes at Yerba Buena.
The current bus stop at 4th and Folsom streets will remain for Golden Gate Transit use only.